Turning 40 years old last year was incredible for me. I didn’t fear 40. I didn’t loathe 40. I didn’t wish it away. I actually was excited about kicking off a new decade. As you get older you become wiser and there’s something peaceful about that for yourself. You see the world differently because you’ve lived a lot of life by now. So here I am, officially 41 years old1 Officially in the waters of my 40’s. I wanted to share 41 Things About Me on my 41st Birthday today. Yesterday (my actual birthday) I was running around for work and then celebrating, so today’s the first time I’ve had a chance to sit, breath and take in 41.
41 Things About Me on my 41st Birthday
I usually don’t share things about me like this in a list format, but I thought it would be fun to do for my 41st! I’ve celebrated 11 birthdays on MomGenerations.com and each one has been special in its own way. My sister Jane shared 31 things about me when I turned 31 and I found it last week. It made me laugh and cry, which was sweet. It’s special when someone shares something about you that you didn’t expect. You never know what to say, but you know what you’re feeling. It meant the world to me.
Last year after turning 40 I wrote 40 things for my 40th year. It was a list of wishes that I wanted for the year ahead. I’m proud of myself for taking myself up on so many of my wishes! I really wanted my 40th year to be a year that was happy and exciting and fearless. I wanted my 40th year to be all about pushing myself and making sure I was also spending time for myself, too. As an entrepreneur I sometimes burn the candle at both ends, but that kind of grit is just in my DNA. It’s who I am, but I loved that I really was conscious of trying to “just be” this past year. That meant something to me.
As 41 years old has arrived, I wanted to share 41 things about me. Maybe you know some of these things and maybe you don’t. I feel that one of the most powerful things we can do as women is share our stories. When you share parts of who you are with people, you know them… I mean, really know them… just that much better. You see them differently. I love learning new and different things about my friends and people that I’m getting to know. It’s like peeling back an onion and understanding different layers about them and who they are. As women we don’t do this enough with each other. We don’t share “things about me” because I think we’re sometimes scared.
Last night as I celebrated with my nearest and dearest, it dawned on me that my life. Every single second of my life has led me to this very moment. I was surrounded by my 5 kids. I was with my mom and my dad. My sister joined us for dinner, too. My husband was right beside me all night. These people are my core. These people are my people. My life – every single path and journey and turn – has led me to right here. Every single moment that has been, has been for now. That’s a pretty amazing thing to stop and think about for your own life. We are where we are meant to be at this very moment and thinking about that on my birthday was pretty cool.
41 Things About Me
- I was actually due on June 26th, 1978. I had to stay in the hospital for 2 weeks in an incubator. I’ve always thought about how scary that must have been for my mom back then. There wasn’t social media, so it’s not like she could connect with other moms. It’s always made my heart ache for her and my father.
- I’m a BRAVO Network junkie. Name a show, I watch it. I secretly just want to work for Andy Cohen.
- Martha’s Vineyard is my happy place.
- I hate camping, but I camp to make my boys happy (and when I say boys, I mean Matt).
- After college I had every single intention of moving to LA to try and break into broadcasting, but decided on NYC at the last minute because I was scared to be that far from home!
- My coffee. I take my hot coffee black with no sugar. I take my iced coffee light with cream, no sugar. I take my latte with extra sugar. Weird, right?
- I’m horrible with grammar. HORRIBLE.
- I like my hair blonde, blonder and blondest.
- I love a good hat.
- My drink of choice is Pinot Grigio.
- If I could wear jeans every single day of my life, I would.
- If I walk into J.Crew, I will NEED to buy something. It’s a sickness.
- I live for my bronzer.
- I live for my spray tan.
- I’m 5 feet.
- I hate bangs on me.
- I’m obsessed with Danielle Steel.
- I miss my grandma and my nana every single day. I talk to them all the time.
- I’ve now been with my husband more than 1/2 of my life and I still celebrated October 28th, 1998 as our official anniversary.
- I always wanted to have 5 kids. Always.
- And for the record, I didn’t keep trying until we got the girl!
- If I could live on the water, I would.
- I prefer sun over snow.
- I wish I could have white furniture in my house, with 5 kids – no go.
- I love mint chocolate chip ice cream.
- Hallmark Channel is always on in my house during the day. Always.
- I’m a hopeless romantic.
- I love road trips with my kids. I know time goes by so fast, so I’m embracing this time with them.
- I love eating pickles (my husband’s Backyard Food Company ones) and potato chips together as a late night snack. And guess what? I’m not pregnant.
- We moved 2 years ago for my kids, what I didn’t realize was that the move would be the best thing for me, too.
- I tried yoga for the first time 2 weeks ago and fell in love with it.
- I refuse to wear bikinis anymore.
- I love taking a long, hot bath at night. I haven’t taken a bath since I was a kid!
- I’m a glass is 1/2 full kind of girl.
- I’m loyal, but when someone crosses me… well, that’s it. It’s funny – lots of people don’t realize that about me.
- I love to bake.
- I need glasses when I drive.
- I’m a big lover of baseball, specifically the Red Sox.
- I’m an over packer for any and every kind of trip.
- I love to wear earrings, but my right pierced ear was done horribly when I was 10 years old and I can only wear earrings for so long before it starts to hurt.
- Working out is my happy release.
OK, so these are my 41 things about me. It’s not all about me, but it’s a part of me. I love being able to share bits and pieces because it’s just a little bit more of who I am and what I’m all about. Make sure you take some time to share “things about me” on your blog or your social channels. It’s a fun thing to do and believe it or not, it’s actually a little tough to do, too!