40 Things for my 40th Year.
Today – May 23, 2018 – I turn 40 years old. I’ve actually been looking forward to this particular milestone for a few years now. 40 isn’t a scary age to me, but it is a BIG age to me. 40 sounds older. I can’t say I’m in my 30’s anymore, I’ve now hit that official new decade. I decided awhile ago that I was going to embrace 40 with open arms, open to the world ahead of me with infinite possibilities.
40 isn’t the new 30 to me, it’s just new to me. It’s a new decade. A new chance to grow. A new chance to pivot. A new chance to be who I am meant to be.
My 30s were good to me. I had my Henry and Victoria in my 30s. I grew my business from nothing in my 30s. I was given some difficult experiences to swim through in my 30s and I came out OK, a little bruised – but wiser and stronger and more thankful. I met Vera in my 30s. I mean – how many people meet their best friend in their 30s? Not many. I moved in my 30s back to the town where I grew up. My 30s were really great years and brought me lots of love and happiness and life and zest.
I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about what I’d love my 40s to be all about… as people say, the older you get – the wiser you get. You know how to filter out the things in life that you don’t want to waste your time with anymore. You know how to embrace true moments. You know who you want in your life and who you don’t. You really become someone your kids start to look up to and watch and want to emulate (well, you hope!).
40 Things for my 40th Year.
- I will be working smarter throughout this decade. I work hard now, but I work all the time. I will finally embrace the work smarter, not harder mentality.
- I will continue to take care of myself.
- I will try yoga.
- I will wear lots and lots (and lots) of sunscreen.
- I will continue to wish upon every single star and always when the clock strikes 11:11.
- I will continue to teach my kids to do the same! Wishing is something we should never grow out of in our lifetime!
- I will not worry about what other people think of me. Not everyone in the world will like you and that’s OK. Actually – life would be boring if everyone liked you!
- I will continue to surround myself with people who make me laugh and feel good! That’s just good for the soul.
- I will spend more and more time with my parents. That’s the thing about age, you start to see that the older YOU get – the older they get, too.
- I will continue to do twinning with my Victoria. She loves it as much as I do and it just warms my heart.
- I will stay on myself to keep proper work hours. The last thing I want is my kids to remember me always working when they were kids.
- I will have more date nights with my husband. Now that the boys are getting older, it’s built in babysitters!
- I will start running more. I will complete a 5K with my husband! OK… maybe even a 10K (now I’m getting crazy here!).
- I will make really smart business decisions in my 40s… I will pivot and it will be the best thing I ever did.
- I will tune out negativity.
- I will volunteer more.
- I will get my children involved in more charitable causes. This is something that’s very important to me.
- I will continue to believe in angels and happily ever afters.
- I will say I love you 1,456 times a day to my kids and my husband.
- I will start every morning off with a thank you to the universe!
- I will try my best to always allow people to see how remarkable they truly are. Everyone needs to be shown love and kindness and this is something I will continue to do.
- I will share my love of blogging with others and show them how to do it and make money at it (with Vera!).
- I will make more time for GIRL TRIPS away! That little escape I took for 3 days filled my soul!
- I will always prefer sun over snow.
- I will bring fresh flowers into my house whenever possible!
- I will dance in the kitchen with my daughter whenever she wants to!
- I will even do the same with my sons (if they let me!).
- I will always drive the boys to the bus stop, even though they’re capable of walking because I JUST LOVE IT.
- I will continue to create my Vision Board.
- I will always help everyone in my family in every capacity that I have.
- I will never tell people how “busy” I am because nobody wants to hear how busy people are! LOL!
- I will do whatever I can to help my kids dreams come true.
- I will put my freaking phone down when I’m with my family! It’s not needed 100% of the day.
- I will try to make my life easier when I can… not always try to make everything look seamless.
- I will work hard to provide for my family.
- I will connect with old friends and stay in touch with them better.
- I will forever be grateful to new friends who come into my life… as we get older we need to embrace these friendships more and more.
- I will stay blonde in my 40s! And spray tan more!
- I will be thankful that I have a husband who loves me more than anything. I know how blessed I am to have someone love me that much and that fully.
- I will continue to “make real the dreams of poets.” (Thanks Bethy)