Do you have children excited for St. Patrick’s Day? Here are 8 Fun Facts about St. Patrick for Children to know for St. Patrick’s Day. These are facts that kids will have fun knowing during this lucky time of the year.
8 Fun Facts about St. Patrick for Children
St. Patrick’s Day facts for kids are fun for them to learn. It’s always cute to see them excited about knowing new things about the Day. It’s always fun to do silly things for kids on St. Patrick’s Day, too, and blame them on Lucky the Leprechaun.
But what about the actual St. Patrick? It’s also important to share some fun facts about St. Patrick for children, too.
Sharing St. Patrick facts for kids is something you can do leading up to the holiday or on the actual holiday itself. These 8 fun facts about St. Patrick can all be shared or pick and choose what you feel your child will like the best.
Fun Fact About St. Patrick
- St. Patrick is ALWAYS celebrated on March 17th. It doesn’t matter if it’s a Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Funny enough, St. Patrick wasn’t actually Irish (he was from Britain).
- St. Patrick wasn’t known for wearing green, he was actually known for wearing blue.
- To celebrate St. Patrick, Chicago dyes their river green for the day.
- To celebrate St. Patrick, New Yorkers have their St. Patrick’s Day Parade. It’s been going on since 1762! That’s quite a long time!
- It’s been shared that St. Patrick used a 3-leaf clover to explain the Holy Trinity. I actually remember my Irish Grandma telling me this years ago. It was always a 3-leaf clover associated with St. Patrick, not the 4-leaf.
- We wear green to celebrate St. Patrick on March 17th for fun folklore. Supposedly wearing green makes you invisible to leprechauns.
- We celebrate on March 17th to observe the death of St. Patrick.
It’s always fun to teach about St. Patrick for kids. I know my kids used to ask a ton of questions about St. Patrick on St. Patrick’s Day. They always associated a leprechaun with the day, not a Saint. As kids get older it becomes more fun sharing the history of St. Patrick’s Day for kids. It’s not just a day to wear green, there’s more behind it.
These fun facts about St. Patrick for children will give them more insight as to who he was and more about what St. Patrick’s Day is all about. These St. Patrick facts might be things they already know, but they’re fun to reiterate.
If you’re looking for a St. Patrick’s Day Story for Kids to go deeper, there’s a great book you can pick up called – Celebrating St. Patrick’s Day: History, Traditions, and Activities – A Holiday Book for Kids by John O’Brien Jr. This book gives more of the real story of St. Patrick for kids.
Share with me any interesting fun facts about St. Patrick that you personally love. What jumps out to your children? it’s always interesting to get their take on the holiday. Once they know why we celebrate, it’s a whole different kind of holiday for them.
If you’re looking for some fun things to do for your kids on St. Patrick’s Day, here are 12 easy and fun things you can do for kids on St. Patrick’s Day! It will be lots of fun for them to enjoy the day with some silly and fun traditions and activities. As you’re doing them, just make sure you sprinkle in some fun facts about St. Patrick for children for them. They might love it!