There’s one thing that drives me crazy all summer long and that’s FRUIT FLIES. I hate fruit flies. They’re starting to come out and about like crazy right now and it’s driving me mad. I want to share 11 easy ways to get rid of fruit flies with you because I’ve become a pro researching every idea I can get.
11 Easy Ways to Get Rid of Fruit Flies
I wanted to share an array of ways to get rid of fruit flies. I know there’s not a one size fits all for everyone, but I know that at least one of these ideas will work. I feel like the more I can share, the better you’ll be able to get rid of these crazy fruit flies, too.
I know you don’t want to stop eating fruit (believe me, I’ve thought it), so you need to make sure you have some ideas up your sleeve to take care of the fruit flies. The worst is when you’re drinking a cup of coffee or lemonade and you look down to see fruit flies in it! Totally grosses me out!
When it comes to ideas, there are things you can do with items around your home or there are things you can do by purchasing a few items. I wanted to make sure I outlined all kinds of options below because I know it’s going to be different for everyone. There are some people who want DIY or some like to buy some items that will work. I tried to think of everyone.
Here are 11 Easy Ways to Get Rid of Fruit Flies:
1. Fill a bowl (or glass) with apple cider vinegar – I remember this is what my mom did when I was a kid. She would always leave a small bowl of apple cider vinegar open on the counter (properly hidden) to “get” all the fruit flies. I will say, can you smell it… but it’s not too much where it’s overwhelming. This is an easy and natural way to get rid of fruit flies at home.
2. Cover your fruit with plastic wrap – This is an easy way to get rid of fruit flies. It’s actually (probably) the simplest of all… just cover your fruit! As long as you have some plastic wrap, this one can work. Take a piece of plastic wrap and literally wrap your fruit until it’s time to eat it.
3. Red wine in a glass – If you’re looking for another easy DIY and natural way to get rid of fruit flies, here’s another one. Just pour some red wine in a glass or small bowl and let sit. Like a bee to honey, fruit flies will literally fly right on in! It’s an easy remedy to get rid of fruit flies and it’s also one that I feel like anyone can do on their own at home.
4. Fruit Fly Trap: Yellow Stick Traps – These are easy ones to use at home, too! All you need to do is lay one out and GO about your day! The sticky traps consist of a sticky glue layer mounted on a piece of cardboard that is tailorable into any structure to protect the sticky surface, until completely coated with insects.
The fruit fly traps made of ECO-friendly materials, safe and Non-toxic, Please don’t worry about it. The fly traps sticky used for fruit fly strips is non-toxic, which means you can use your aphid sticky traps around plants, children, and animals! Use your yellow sticky traps fungus gnats without worrying if it will end up harming your family.
5. Aunt Fannie’s FlyPunch – This is an easy one to use, too!
- Safe. Safe near people and food when used as directed.
- Smart. No mixing, no mess.
- Simple setup. Just open flip top. Lasts up to 30 days once opened.
- For use in kitchens, food prep and disposal areas, or anywhere fruit flies congregate.
6. Green Gobbler Fruit Fly Goodbye Gel Drain Treatment – This is a product you can buy to make it easier on yourself.
KILL FRUIT & DRAIN FLIES: Fruit Fly Killer is a convenient formula that kills the fruit flies, drain flies, and sewer flies that make their home inside the hidden spaces of your drains. Get rid of them once and for all with this easy-to-use gel formula that will trap and kill flies, stopping infestations in their tracks.
7. Leave an empty bottle of beer – Another easy one for you! All you need to do is open up a beer bottle and leave it on your counter. It’s as simple as that! It can be any kind of beer, but just like that glass of wine, like a bee to honey… it traps the fruit flies!
8. Mix vinegar and dish soap together – This is a mixture that my friend recommended to me. I told her about the apple cider vinegar and she told me to mix it with some dish soap. Just mix the two of these together in a bowl and leave them out. Simple as can be! I have not tried this one, but I’m willing to bet by adding the dish soap the smell isn’t as bad.
9. Eucalyptus – The smell of eucalyptus oil will definitely repel some of the fruit flies. It’s apparently a smell they can’t stand. My advice? Burn some eucalyptus oil and / or some incense. It’s something that works well in getting rid of fruit flies.
10. Additional OILS AND INCENSE – I was reading that fruit flies hate incense. So if you’re an incense burner or do oils, make sure you keep on doing this and do it in your kitchen. What kinds of smells am I talking about when it comes to oils and incense? My personal faves? Lavender and peppermint are perfect for this. I don’t know why, but for some reason fruit flies can’t stand the smell. Just easily burn the incense or oil… or even burn a candle around the house.
11. Raid Apple Fruit Fly Trap – This fruit fly trap is made by Raid, a recognized and trusted brand among Pest control. The fruit fly trap is discreet while attracting and then killing fruit flies without insecticides by using a food lure. It’s safe to use around the kitchen and lasts up to 30 days.
Fruit flies are little buggers in my kitchen that I can do without. I’m not a fan (never have been!) and would love to see them away! I hope these tips and advice helps you in your kitchen. We’re BIG fruit lovers, so I don’t want to stop buying it. I just need to get smart and keep those fruit flies away with some tips and tricks!
If you have any issues with ants, I also have a post about how to keep ants away from your outdoor gatherings naturally.