Looking for a great Bayou Brownies recipe? I’ve got one for you today! Over the holidays I was at a party and one of the guests brought along a tray of these brownies. I had never had one before and the second I took a bite I was hooked! They were incredible and such a wonderful “twist” on your average brownie. It’s always fun to bake brownies, but this recipe just takes the cake (or – truth be told, brownie!).
Bayou Brownies Recipe
If you’re someone like me and not that (dare I say it) proficient in the kitchen, it’s all about following recipes to a “T.” My mother used to always tell me growing up that you can have a little fun with cooking, but baking is a science. You don’t want to just experiment. For these Bayou Brownies, I’m going to layout the recipe and my advice is to make sure you follow every step and use exactly what I’m using, too in the recipe!
I can usually tell if a recipe is for me if the ingredient list is on the short side. The second I see a laundry list, I get nervous and start thinking to myself, “How much is this recipe going to actually cost me?” I don’t want to pay an arm and a leg for brownies! These Bayou Brownies have a short ingredients list and it’s one that is very doable and you probably have a couple of these items in your kitchen already!
Bayou Brownies Ingredients:
1 C Chopped Pecans
1/2 C Butter, melted
3 Large Eggs
1 Package Yellow Cake Mix
1 Package (8 ounces) Cream Cheese
2 C Powdered Sugar
Step by Step Directions:
1. Combine pecans, butter, 1 egg and cake mix. Make sure you have a deep bowl to pop everything right on it!
2. Stir until well blended. My advice is to use a metal spoon and just go for it! You really need and want to make sure that all the ingredients are blended and mixed well together. You’ll see the photo below to see how it should look after you do your mixing.
3. Press into the bottom of a lightly greased 13X9 inch pan and then set aside. You really want to make sure it’s an even layer, too.
4. Combine remaining 2 eggs, cream cheese and powdered sugar in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until smooth. Pour cream cheese mixture over cake mix layer. This is what it will look like after you pour the mixture over the cake layer.
5. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes or until cheese mixture is set. Feel free to use a fork to check and gauge around 40 minutes. You don’t want to burn it!
6. Let cool completely in pan on wire rack. When it’s cooled, it’s time to cut and serve!
I know that I’ve been asked before about a substitution for pecans. I’m going to be honest with you, there isn’t one for this recipe. Pecans truly does make the recipe so it’s one that it 100% needs. I would look up other brownie recipes if there’s a particular nut you prefer to see if there’s a potential brownie recipe out there that you can use it in!
If you’re looking for a sweet treat, these are a wonderful brownie to make! I also think it’s great to just try something new if you haven’t before! I’m a sweets girl, so I love to try ANYTHING that’s indulgent. If you’re a lover of nuts, too – this would be a great option for you. I’m obsessed with pecans, so this is a great recipe for adding these babies right in, too!
I love being able to share these with you on the blog today! Make sure you let me know what you think after you try this recipe! I feel like it’s one that is definitely a crowd pleaser. It’s also a great brownie for the spring and summer months ahead. I feel like during the holidays everyone is so plugged into making holiday-esque treats (gingerbread, peppermint, etc), but during the summer it’s a little different! These would be perfect!
If you’re looking for a fall recipe when it comes to brownies, check out my pumpkin brownies recipe! If you’re looking for a way to create a holiday treat on the brownie front, see these adorable Christmas Tree brownies, too! These are so cute and so easy to make for your kids during the holidays!
If you’re wondering about the word BAYOU, here’s a look at what the word means and where it comes from!
Thanks for reading!