I’m always in charge of bringing desserts when it comes to the holidays. This year my husband did a dry run with me and created the most amazing Pumpkin Roll with Apple Butter Filling. I’m being honest with you here, I’m not the best baker on the planet – I rely on my husband to help me out. Here’s an easy recipe to take a traditional pumpkin roll up a notch with an extra level of apple flavor.
Pumpkin Roll with Apple Butter Filling
If you’re a pumpkin roll lover, you’re going to love the twist on this one. It’s super easy to do and really delicious. This is one of those recipes you will want to make year round, not just for the holidays. It’s that kinda good and yummy.
Before we kick off the recipe, let’s make sure you have all the necessary ingredients. The list is a little long, but I promise once you look through it you’ll see that you might have most of these.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup spiced pumpkin pie filling
- powdered sugar to dust roll
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
- 1 block of cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
The most important ingredient is The Backyard Food Company Apple Butter
What make our Apple Butter better? We cook it longer to intensify the fresh picked flavor. THAT’S FLAVOR INTENSIFIED.
Big Apple Butter is the perfect accompaniment to every meal whether paired with a breakfast sausage, as a spread on your favorite sandwich, baked onto pork chops or even with ice cream for a sweet dessert.
It’s unbelievable on fresh baked bread, it’s even better on pork or chicken. Spread it on while you’re baking or grilling and it’s COMPLIMENTS TO THE CHEF.
What’s our favorite way to enjoy Big Apple Butter? GRAB A SPOON, it’s right out of the jar!
Let me walk you through the Directions real quick. My advice? Print them out or keep them right next to you throughout the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Line a 15 x 10 pan with parchment paper, leaving enough extra parchment sticking out on both sides of the pan to use to lift the cake out after baking.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and granulated sugar until thick. Add the vanilla and pumpkin pie filling, and whisk until combined. Fold in the flour mix with a spatula and stir together until just combined.
- Spread the batter onto prepared pan and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. The top of the cake will spring back when gently touched when done. Carefully lift the cake out by the parchment onto a flat surface and slowly roll the cake from the short edge.
- Transfer the cake roll to a wire rack, and cool to room temperature.
Cream Cheese Filling (make while cake cools)
- Whisk cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla in a mixing bowl until smooth. Filling should have a spreadable consistency that’s not too thin or it will ooze out of the sides while you’re rolling it up. If its too thin, add a little powdered sugar. If its too thick, add a half teaspoon of water at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- When the cake reaches room temperature, transfer to a flat surface and carefully unroll it.
- Spread the cream cheese filling evenly over cake, leaving a 1/2 inch border on all sides and then spread a layer of apple butter on top of that
- Carefully roll the cake, slowly peeling away the parchment paper as you roll being careful not to crack the cake.
- Wrap the pumpkin roll tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Remove and unwrap the pumpkin roll and transfer it to your serving dish.
- Lightly dust the pumpkin roll with powdered sugar, slice and serve.
You’re going to fall in love with this recipe! It’s the best ever and you will think that you are eating slices of heaven! I’m telling you – this is something that you will want to keep in your inbox.
Also – make sure you check out The Backyard Food Company, too! It’s the best company ever! The Backyard Food Company is Committed to Making Food Better by Using the Same Simple Ingredients You Use in Your Home!