I’m always asked by readers How to Get Healthy Hair. Yes – I’m determined to have healthy hair this summer. I feel like I finally took control of my hair and the health of it 5 years ago. My hair was so damaged and over-processed and just looked blah. You don’t want blah hair.
You want hair that shines and is healthy! I’ve made it my hair mission to stay on top of it and take care of it. I’m going to be sharing with YOU how to get healthy hair right now and maintain it throughout the summer months ahead, too!
How to Get Healthy Hair
Healthy hair is the goal for many women, right? We all know when our hair has had enough. We all know when our hair is screaming for a refresh or a redo. It doesn’t happen all the time, but it does happen. How to get healthy hair is pretty easy. You just need to know what to do and how to maintain it. It’s something that you have to commit to and not get fed up with, you need to make a plan and stick with it.
I know I first started to see my hair get unhealthy when I kept coloring it. I go blonde, so the dye was getting really harsh on my hair and causing it to break. My hair was uneven and looking almost like it was fried. I hated the way it looked and I was becoming very self conscious about it. I never liked to wear it down because I just always felt like it looked unhealthy. It needed life brought back into it.
I ended up sitting with my hair stylist and asking her what I should. Here’s the thing – I wasn’t about to stop coloring my hair. That was my line in the sand. I’m 80% gray on top of my head and I wasn’t ready (at age 35 years old) to go gray.
I wanted to maintain my blonde locks, but I needed to make sure I was doing everything else possible to keep it healthy and looking good. My hair stylist gave me a ton of different suggestions that we ALL amazing and I took her advice pronto!
If you are asking yourself how to get healthy hair, please stop. I have ALL the answers right here for you now. You don’t have to look anywhere else. Try any or all of these suggestions. Make sure you start incorporating them into your hair routine now and keep it up. I’m someone who now makes sure to always think of my hair health because it’s important to do that, too. I want to make sure I pass all this information on so you never have hair that looked like mine did 5 years ago!
Tips on How to Get Healthy Hair
- Work in a condition treatment into your hair routine. Depending on the texture of your hair, you might need to condition every single time you shower. I have super thick hair so I can’t wash my hair without conditioning it.
- Put away the hairdryer. With the summer months here you can put down the hairdryer and let your hair air dry. Don’t add extra heat to your hair if you don’t need to! I try to go all summer without using mine.
- If you’re going to go swimming in chlorinated water – wear a cap OR wash/rinse it the second you get out of the pool. It’s important to make sure you’re protecting your hair.
- Don’t forget too that the sun is harsh, make sure you’re protecting your hair when you’re out in the elements. Wear a hat when you’re out and about.
- When you’re heading to bed at night, use a fabric scrunchie to hold your hair back. It won’t pull your hair as much as an elastic will.
- Moisturize your hair as much as you can in the summer. You can buy some great spritz sprays for this, too. Just keep it constantly sprayed, I promise you that you will see hug differences in your hair.
- If you *can* take some time off of processing it throughout the summer. I cannot (for the life of me) do this, but if you can it will be good on your hair.
- Look for shampoos with SPF in it, yes they exist! Use this on your hair and make sure it’s something that you continuously use throughout the summer.
- Try to use a comb in the summer and stay away from the hairbrush.
- I highly suggest adding in a hair mark if you want to for the summer. My advice? Do it once a week and see how it goes and feels on your hair. One of my personal faves is the Aveeno Intense Hydration Mask.
- I carry Leave-in Conditioner around with me throughout the summer. I pop it on my beach and pool bag and use it pretty regularly throughout the summer months.
I hope these tips on how to get healthy hair in the summer help! It’s all about taking care of your hair and nurturing it the best way you possibly can. Remember it doesn’t happen overnight, but it DOES happen! Just give yourself time.
How to Maintain Healthy Hair – see some of my other content when it comes to hair care: