I’m a sun goddess, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve become more and more aware of the impact and the damage that sun exposure can do to your body. It’s something that scares me, so I’ve now become a spray tanning junkie. Literally. I’m in love with a good fake tan because it’s easy and it’s quick and it’s not damaging my skin. I always get sprays tans (or just do self tanner at home), but one of the biggest questions I get from people is – What to Wear to a Spray Tan? I get it. It’s not something that people really talk about, but it’s something that people think about (I know I did when I started).
What to Wear to a Spray Tan
Let’s kick it off with clothing that you should ACTUALLY wear to a spray tan. When you’re thinking about what to wear to a spray tan, you should be thinking about clothing that you’re going in (you don’t want it to streak afterwards) and clothing that you’re actually getting sprayed in! When I first started getting sprayed I would go in my “regular” clothing – jeans, sweater, tee, socks, etc. I would ALWAYS ruin my spray tan just in the minutes from getting dresses afterwards to the minutes driving home. It would kill me because spray tans aren’t free! I started getting smart and wearing clothing that I knew would be loose and wouldn’t be too tight on my skin.
I do what to start off with this advice for spray tanning – before you worry about what to wear to a spray tan, make sure you’re going to someone who knows what they’re doing or a place that is reputable. I have 2 people that spray tan me and they are phenomenal. They know exactly what to do and they give me ample drying time. DO NOT LEAVE WITH A WET SPRAY TAN. I’ve gone to places before that make you feel like you need to run out the second you’re done. That’s a waste of money because your tan is streaking before you leave! MAKE SURE YOU ARE DRY! And then start thinking about what to wear after you’re dry! 🙂
My personal advice as to what to wear to a spray tan?
1. Super loose tank or tee. I’m talking a men’s tee shirt. Borrow one from your husband or son! Make sure it’s super loose on you and that it’s truthfully just an added layer for you to drive home in. There is zero fashion sense about this kind of tee, you just want to get home in something!
2. Don’t wear a sports bra or anything. IF you sprayed in a bathing suit, just keep that on under your clothing. Don’t worry about taking it off. If you start to take it off you risk ruining your spray tan, too. I always keep my bathing suit on for (at least) an hour or 2 afterwards because I just don’t want anything to streak on my body! I’m telling you right now, just keep whatever you sprayed in on, don’t take it off and put on a bra or anything tight. If you sprayed in the nude, just head home with a tee shirt on.
3. Depending upon the weather, this will impact your bottoms. My suggestion is to wear loose shorts. I have running shorts that are super loose and they are my go to when it comes to spray tanning. I pop those on and they are airy and flowing and don’t bind to my legs at all. If it’s super cold and you need pants – grab SUPER LOOSE cotton pants or sweat pants. DO NOT put anything on that’s tight! I remember I once brought leggings with me! LEGGINGS! I was crazy! Never in a million years would I go that again! Anything too tight will not go well with your spray tan.
4. Shoes – just do flip flops! Even if it’s super cold outside. Think about when you get a pedicure. You HAVE to let your nails dry before you can put your socks back on. The same goes for a spray tan. You don’t want your ankles and feet to have tan running off of them before you even go home. I always just wear a pair of flip flops home to let the spray tan sink in.
Now let’s talk about the actual SPRAY TAN! What to Wear to a Spray Tan inside the booth OR when someone’s actually personally spraying you. There are 3 ways I advise:
1. Nude – that’s right! Go commando! This isn’t always comfortable for people. I don’t do this because I just feel awkward and I even know the girls doing it! But this is an option because you won’t have ANY streaks or tan lines.
2. Wear your undies and a strapless bra. This is what I’ve done in the last. I try to make sure the undies and bra sync up to bathing suit tan lines. I feel more comfortable doing it this way than I do nude. It’s easier for me.
3. If you have a go to bathing suit that you know you wear all the time, get sprayed in that bathing suit. You can wash your bathing suit to get any access spray off of it from the actual spray tan, so don’t worry about that! If you’re going away, it would be good to have the exact tan lines match right on up!
So this is my information and advice as to what to wear to a spray tan! I’m just a big lover of a spray tan, so I love sharing my advice here! I have an appointment to get sprayed next week and I can’t wait! I’m all about trying to make sure I stay tan without actually having to go into the sun!
If you’re looking for a great self tanner at home, I love to use Jergens. They have an array of different products which work great! I’ve used during pregnancy and afterwards!
Here’s a blog post about my sister trying them out on her own!