What To Do in New York City with your Teenager
New York City calls my name. It’s a place I love. It’s a place I feel comfortable. It’s a place that I used to call home. I had 2 of my sons in NYC… my William and my Alex. They were both little when we moved out, so I know they don’t remember ANYTHING at all about it. The best part is that they both love NYC, too. They’re New Yorker’s – well, according to their birth certificate.
I posted about bringing William to NYC last week to get some special, one on one time with JUST him. I think it’s important to do things like this with your kids and to continuously make it special for them. NYC is such a spot that William loves that I thought it was the perfect place to bring him for a weekend away!
The big question for us when we were on our way was – WHAT TO DO IN NEW YORK CITY WITH YOUR TEENAGER?
There were a few factors working against us:
1. The weather. NYC was due for some massive rain (which they did get!).
2. I had to work on Saturday from 1:30-6:30PM
Other than that, we were open to anything! William didn’t want to do museums or shop (so basically all my ideas were out the window!). He wanted to walk around and explore and see as much as he could from when we used to live there so many years ago. We’ve done the Statue of Liberty tour and the Bus Tour and exploring certain hot spots that you would normally visit, he didn’t want to do any of that again.
So what did we do in NYC with William? Our 13 year old teen?
1. Korean BBQ! If you’re looking for something yummy to try in NYC, Korean BBQ is a GREAT thing to try!! The boys went to Wonjo!!
2. Take the SUBWAY like the locals!! Don’t rely on cabs and uber, get out there and explore!!
3. Times Square AT NIGHT!! We went around 9:30PM and it was AWESOME!!
4. Central Park near the Boathouse. This is such a prime place because there’s so many cool and different spots to explore!
5. Little Italy! William loves Italian food, so we jetted downtown for him to eat there with us!
6. Street Fairs!! You just don’t get a street fair in RI like you do in NYC!! It’s fabulous!!
7. M&M Store. I mean… if you love Chocolate, you need to check it out!!
8. Time Warner Building… we lived right across the street when it was going up, so we wanted to check it out!
9. Greasy Spoon Diner somewhere uptown or downtown… this is where the actual locals go!! We went to a local diner we used to always go to when he was a baby called The Flame! GREAT food at GREAT prices!
10. Rooftop access somewhere! William doesn’t love heights, but we got him to the 18th floor of our hotel for a good view of the City!!
Definitely check out our video for some FUN and see what we did!!