8 Things We Can Learn in Business from the Patriots
Business and sports, they definitely have the same kind of fundamentals.
I’m a Patriots fan. I’ve been one my entire life, born into a New England family. Even the years I lived in NYC and the fact that I married a Pittsburgh guy, I still haven’t wavered. I’m a Pats fan through and through.
Say and think what you will, the Patriots have been a force to be reckoned with throughout the years. Living with 5 non-fans, believe me… I’ve heard it ALL about the Patriots. I mean, I’ve heard it ALL. BUT! The one thing my family can’t deny… the Patriots don’t give up. As I was watching the game last night, I couldn’t get over the determination of the Patriots. They just don’t give up and it’s incredible to watch. Even when the chips are down, they don’t give up. It made me think about business and my own business world in particular – and how if everyone just didn’t give up – imagine how much we could get done and do in this world. It’s inspirational!
So what did I learn last night?
- Head down and filter out the negativity. All week all I heard about was Tom’s hand. What happened? Can he play? Is he faking it? Is it really that bad? How will he do? The Tom Brady camp kept silent about it. They were head down, don’t engage… don’t respond. I wish everyone could be like this in business. Filter out the NOISE around you and just stay on course with what you know and what you need to do.
- Teamwork is essential. You can build a business by yourself with an idea and a dream and a passion, but building it bigger and better – it takes some help. Just like the Patriots had to rely on their team last night, rely on YOUR team when it comes to business. Use them and find their strengths. Make it work for YOU.
- Keep moving, even when you feel like stopping and giving up. We all come to a point in our businesses where we just want to wave the white flag. This is what separates the successful from the (I hate to say it) non-successful. Some people just wave the white flag. It’s not a bad thing, believe me – I get it. Sometimes you need to know when to cut your losses. But here’s the thing… keep moving. Don’t stop. Put one foot in front of the other and keep going until you get to where you need to be!
- Do not give up. OMG. 6 minutes to go last night, the Patriots needed 2 touchdowns to win it. They were down the entire game! And guess what? They did it. Do not give up. Keep going. Believe in yourself. Stay on course.
- Research and know the “game” better than anyone. When you do business, you need to know why you’re the best… why you’re better than anyone else doing what you’re doing. Standout. Do the work. Put in the research. Know the game – or better yet – your business better than anyone.
- Hustle. Hustle. Hustle. And then hustle some more. There’s no other way to say it. It doesn’t matter how old you are, where you live and what your past circumstances have been… we’re all here now. WORK HARD AND GOOD THINGS HAPPEN!
- Rely on a support system!!
- Thank your fans!!!!!! I love how they love their fans!!!!!