I need them BADLY! I’ve bee scouring the internet all morning for some home remedies to relieve a sore throat. We have been hit big time in the McClelland household with awful colds this week. I don’t think it’s the flu (praying it’s not!), but whatever it is… it’s got us and it’s got us good. I always say in my house with 5 kids that it’s like a domino effect when someone gets sick… at some point we’ll all just go “down!” I need Home Remedies for Sore Throat that will stick with me and make sure I can do what I can do at home without going crazy!
Home Remedies for Sore Throat
William (my oldest) got sick a couple days after Christmas. He was pale and tired and very achy. I told him to rest, rest, rest – which he did. My husband started to get sick on New Year’s Eve. He felt achy and tired and started a hacking cough. Then I got sick on January 3rd with a horrible sore throat and terrible congestion. And then I woke up this morning to my daughter coughing and also rocking a horrible sore throat. I know before the end of the weekend at least some of the boys will be down too. Immediately I started researching Home Remedies for Sore Throat. There’s nothing worse than a really bad sore throat!
For me personally, the sore throat is a KILLER FOR ME! It’s a blizzard outside, (literally, a BLIZZARD!) so I can’t get to the doctor. I’ve been looking for some home remedies because I know it’s something that I can do now. You almost can’t talk when you have a really bad sore throat. You want to, but you just can’t. It’s too difficult to open your mouth and get anything out! Not to mention – it hurts to eat, too!
I found 10 Home Remedies for Sore Throat. Now – I’m going to be honest with you – I haven’t tried them all, but they definitely are worth looking into if your throat is starting to kill you! It’s something that you want to make sure you stay on top of and don’t give up on!!
What are the Home Remedies for Sore Throat?
1. Salt and Water Gargle and Rinse – Mix 1 teaspoon of salt into 8 ounces of warm water. Gargle with your head back and then spit the water out. Recommendation seems to be to do this once an hour.
2. Soothe your throat pain with a warm compress. Take a warm cloth of a heating pad and gently press on your throat. This says it can relieve some of the pain quickly.
3. Soothe your throat with warms beverages. Warm tea and warm water with lemon or honey seems to be the drink of choice.
4. Humidifiers or steam treatments. This is something I can do easily! Warm or cool mist moving through a humidifier can help soothe your throat!
5. SLEEP! This is an easy, peasy home remedy! Sleep and rest it off!
6. Chamomile Compress. Make a batch of chamomile tea (or soak 1 tablespoon dried chamomile flowers in 1-2 cups boiling water and let steep). Once the tea is warm enough to touch, soak a clean towel in the tea, wring it out, and apply to neck area.
7. Take Vitamin C!! Stock up on orange juice, too!! Make sure it’s consumed!
8. Steam shower. My mom used to ALWAYS have us do these, so reading this online helped… take a hot shower and fill the bathroom with steam!! Breathe it in!
9. Chicken Soup! Whether it’s homemade or out of can, it doesn’t matter! Make sure you stock up and eat it up this week!
10. I found this on health.com! I can’t get over this! Although there’s no hard evidence that it works, sap from the marshmallow plant has been used for hundreds of years—usually in tea form—to treat coughs, colds, and sore throats. And while real marshmallow bears little relation to the puffy campfire treats that took its name, both may have sore throat-fighting properties.
BONUS 11. MEDICINE! Tylenol and Advil and Motrin and Aleve… whatever you have at home, these can help, too.
You can always head to webmd.com for more info, too!
And see one of my fave posts ever – HOW TO PREVENT THE STOMACH BUG WITH GRAPE JUICE!
If you have any additional ones – 10 Home Remedies to Relieve a Sore Throat!! – TELL ME!!!