6 Reasons Why Your Child Should – Learn to Swim and take swim lessons at YMCA. We’re a BIG swimming family. (You’ve probably gathered that from my blog, right? LOL!) My 4 sons have been competitively swimming since they each turned 5 years old. The rule of thumb at our swim club is – if you can swim a lap without stopping, you can be on the swim team.
Swim Lessons at YMCA
It was the same rule when I was a kid and I love seeing that time hasn’t changed much on the pool deck. Having a skill – Learn to swim is a life skill that everyone should know. I’m a big proponent in starting your kids young and really getting them comfortable and used to the water. The benefits of swimming are truly endless and I encourage swim lessons at YMCA! I’ll never forget watching my oldest son swim a lap for the very first time.
I was so proud of him! It took him a long time to get across that pool, but he did it. He did it and he was beaming when he was done. All of my sons have followed suit and it’s been something that I’m so happy that they know how to do. Now we’re back at square one with our daughter! We have her in swim lessons at YMCA this summer at our pool club (where her brothers started!) and I can’t wait to see how much she progresses this summer!
Why should you teach your child to swim at swim lessons at YMCA?
6 Reasons Why Your Child Take Swim Lessons at YMCA:
- Safety – This is my biggie for making sure my kids know how to swim. Every summer I hear on the news about drownings that happened with children and it breaks my heart. Heading to the pool or to the beach in the summer (especially in Rhode Island because it’s cold all winter) is something families love to do. If your kids know how to swim, it’s an extra layer of safety for them and for you. You know that they’ll be comfortable in the water, but most important – that they ca handle themselves in the water. Accidents happen in the blink of an eye, but you can reduce them by knowing your children are armed with the knowledge of how to swim. This is big for when your child will swim lessons at YMCA.
- Comfort – There’s something pretty special when you see your kids feeling comfortable in the water as they grow. I’ll never forget watching my youngest son rock the deep end when he was 7 years old. He was comfortable in the deeper water (and I was, too for him!). You don’t want your kids to fear the water, get them comfortable in it so they can enjoy it!
- Life Skill – I always equate learning to swim like learning to play golf, play tennis, run, bike… it’s one of those life skills that you learn young and can continue to do forever! As a 39 year old woman, I love going to the beach and to the pool with my kids. I learned how to swim when I was 4 years old, so it’s been a skill I’ve known my whole life. I’ve been able to use it and love this skill for years and years. I don’t fear the water as an adult. And – it really is something you can do for the rest of your life!
- Fun – When I see my kids splashing around and having fun in the water with each other and friends, it’s amazing. Pool time and beach time is FUN! It’s such a wonderful part of growing up and heading out with your friends! When you know how to swim it’s a fun activity to do! Make sure you share this gift with your children, too!
- Healthy Activity – Swimming is a non-impact sport, so the cause of injuries is low. Swimming is such a great sport and activity for your kids because it gets every muscle in their body moving and it’s incredible for your heart and lungs! If you’re looking for your kids to stay active, especially in the winter months – swimming is a fantastic activity to sign them up for!
- Swim Team – And when your kids are READY and willing, they can always join a swim team! I had my 4 sons join swim teams young and they have really loved it throughout the years. It’s just a fun sport because it’s such an individual sport, but you have that team aspect, too! It really is a great thing to do with your kids, even if it’s just at a local summer club for a few months! We have embraced the swimming world!
Swimming is a life skill, great exercise, and a challenging sport. Swim lessons at YMCA are key and it’s something that everyone should look into. Whether you’re looking for swim classes for your kids, want to learn water safety, or enjoy swimming as a form of exercise, you’ll find what you’re looking for at the Y.
Read about WATER SAFETY FOR KIDS here.