At 38 years old, I’m definitely beginning to see some wrinkles. To be honest with you, I didn’t even starting thinking about wrinkles on my skin and prevention until about years ago. I remember standing in my bathroom, looking at my eyes and seeing little lines around them.
Crow’s feet? Already?
Is that possible?
Yes. It was. They were there.
And truth be told, throughout the last few years more and more wrinkles have crept onto my face, those sneaky little buggers! I know that wrinkles are a normal part of life, but it’s crazy how quickly you begin to see them as you get older. I never really took the time in my 20’s to worry about prevention of wrinkles, I started in my 30’s.
But you know what? It’s never too late to start!
A new study from anti-aging pioneer RoC® Skincare offers a preview of what you can expect to see when looking in the mirror several decades down the road.
Oh, yes… we’re talking the year 2040.
I’ll be… wait for it… 62 years old, right about my mom’s age.
While obviously RoC® Skincare can’t imagine the full technological advances or geopolitical developments that lie ahead, they know that one thing is clear for residents of top U.S. metropolitan areas: the decisions made today can and will impact your skin health in the future.
To shine a light on how these factors affect skin aging, RoC® Skincare has again (for he 3rd time!) partnered with independent research firm Sperling’s Best Places for the 2016 RoC® Wrinkle Ranking: a city by city look at the metropolitan areas’ risk for skin damage and premature aging by the year 2040. What I find incredibly interesting is that the analysis is based on factors commonly known to affect skin health – lifestyle, occupational and environmental influences.
So what were the results? Are you in “top wrinkle zone?”
The third annual RoC® Wrinkle Ranking predicts that in the year 2040, Philadelphia will reign as the most wrinkle-prone city in America, thanks to high stress levels, more airborne pollution, lengthy commute times and higher than average smoking rates. On the other end of the spectrum, San Jose will claim the least wrinkle-prone title in 2040, due to its shorter commute time, smaller population size and anticipated shift toward a wetter climate.
So where does I rank in Providence, RI?
I’m #19! I was surprised to see that finding, but it makes me realize that prevention now is key with my skin.
1. Philadelphia, PA
2. Denver-Aurora, CO
3. Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, WA
4. Chicago-Naperville-Arlington Heights, IL
5. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI
6. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ
7. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
8. New York, NY
9. Warren, MI
10. Edison, NJ
11. Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, OR-WA
12. Pittsburgh, PA
13. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA
14. Nassau County-Suffolk County, NY
15. Boston-Quincy, MA
16. Baltimore-Towson, MD
17. St. Louis, MO-IL
18. Newark, NJ-PA
19. Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, RI-MA
20. Cambridge-Newton-Framingham, MA
21. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX
22. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL
23. Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin, TN
24. Cincinnati-Middletown, OH-KY-IN
25. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA
26. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA
27. Kansas City, MO-KS
28. Indianapolis-Carmel, IN
29. Columbus, OH
30. Miami-Miami Beach-Kendall, FL
31. Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC
32. Orlando-Kissimmee, FL
33. Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI
34. Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
35. Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH
36. Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX
37. Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
38. Oakland-Hayward-Berkeley, CA
39. Sacramento-Arden-Arcade-Roseville, CA
40. Austin-Round Rock, TX
41. Detroit-Dearborn-Livonia, MI
42. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA
43. Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach-Deerfield Beach, FL
44. San Antonio, TX
45. Santa Ana, CA
46. San Francisco-Redwood City-South San Francisco, CA
47. Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC
48. Jacksonville, FL
49. West Palm Beach-Boca Raton-Delray Beach, FL
50. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA
Interesting findings from the study…
- Big City Blues: Large metropolitan areas such as Philadelphia, Washington D.C. and New York City will continue to round out the top 10 most wrinkle-prone metro areas due to their extreme urban environments, including more congested commuting and lower air quality.
- Thank You for Not Smoking: Smoking rates are predicted to approach zero in 35 of the 50 cities ranked, which will decrease overall rates of premature fine lines and wrinkles. However, Nashville, St. Louis and Kansas City are expected to retain smoking rates significantly higher than the rest of the country – leaving residents of these cities more at risk.
- Heat Makes Waves: Higher temperatures along with less precipitation will increase the risk of wrinkles in certain areas such as the Great Lakes and the Northeast. Meanwhile, Texan residents, beware of drier skin as cities such as Dallas, Houston and San Antonio will see the greatest decrease in average annual precipitation.
RoC® Skincare has been a leading French skincare brand for more than 50 years, devoted to developing anti-aging products that guarantee visible and lasting results for healthier, younger-looking skin. I’m all about bringing the RoC® Skincare routine to my skin. I’ve been using some of the RoC® RETINOL CORREXION® products on my skin throughout the last couple of weeks and I REALLY love them! I’ll never forget learning about the magic of retinol from my dermatologist when I was a teenager, so I really love seeing how it’s being utilized within this product line. Retinol is the “gold standard” in anti-aging skincare ingredients, giving years back to the look and feel of skin.
Formulated in 1995, RoC® Skincare scientists have devoted years of continued research to retinol, the gold standard in anti-aging ingredients, which reduces the appearance of fine lines and deep wrinkles while working in balance with the skin’s natural renewal system to improve skin tone and skin firmness. Because RoC® Skincare understands that retinol is only truly effective in its purest and most stable form, all the RoC® Brand retinol products are packaged in a special aluminum tube that protects retinol from light and air to keep it stable.
I’ve been using RETINOL CORREXION® Eye Cream religiously for the last 2 weeks. As I said earlier, Crow’s Feet are walking all over my eyes right now! Believe it or not, this is the FIRST time I’ve ever used a product religiously targeted for my eyes. I’ve always been concerned about my face, never really narrowing in on other areas, until now. What I love is that the RETINOL CORREXION® Eye Cream is non-greasy and cool. It’s a moisturizing cream, so it’s formulated for use around the delicate eye area. It helps even out the look of dark circles and reduce the look of puffiness in four weeks if that’s desired. For me, I’m all about the crow’s feet! It’s said to visibly reduce the appearance of wrinkles around the eyes and crow’s feet in 12 weeks. I’ve been using it for about 3 weeks and (yes) I can see a difference already. Another thing I love, I can use it right over makeup, too! Easy, peasy! I just dot it under my eyes and rub it in. Viola!
I’ve also just started trying out the RoC® RETINOL CORREXION® Deep Wrinkle Serum. Crow’s feet are the only think sneaking into my skin! There are definitely fine lines and wrinkles on this 38 year old face. It’s funny, my son Henry asked me the other day, “What’s that line near your smile?” Yup. Thanks for noticing! This specific serum is an anti-aging formula that is clinically proven to help visibly reduce both fine lines and deep wrinkles. Oh, yes – sign me up! This is what RoC® RETINOL CORREXION® Deep Wrinkle Serum is proven to do… after four weeks, skin appears more radiant, fine lines are smoothed and skin firmness is improved. After eight weeks, crow’s feet are visibly reduced and discoloration is diminished. After 12 weeks, deep wrinkles are visibly reduced. This formula glides on easily and absorbs quickly, leaving your skin feeling smooth and velvety and is ideal for use under makeup. Again, I’ve just started using this product, but will continue and will update as I go along! I’m all about serums and it really is very lightweight, which I love on my skin. I don’t like anything too heavy for my skin, always drives me crazy. I want it on and then I don’t want to even think about it!
Definitely check out the full line of RoC® Skincare products and see what’s best for you and your skin. You can check out Target and CVS/Pharmacy for these products, too!
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post with RoC® Skincare, all opinions are 100% my own.