I’m being totally honest with you right now.
When I first heard about it last year, I rolled my eyes. My first thoughts? “I’m not ANOTHER new thing right now.”
And so I stayed away — for a YEAR!
Around this past December my (2) 15-year old nieces were “snapping” away during the holidays. No Instagram. No Facebook. No Twitter. No YouTube. No Pinterest. It was ALL about Snapchat. Since I work as a digital influencer, it was my true wake-up call (blaring in my face) that I needed to figure out this Snapchat thing (and quick!). Considering this was the only mode of social media for my nieces, I knew it was not only worth me checking out, I needed to check it out.
At first I didn’t get it. It was almost too simple, that I really thought I was doing it wrong. But that’s just it – it’s simple and it’s easy. Vera Sweeney and I (my bestie and business partner) decided to do it together because we want to keep branding as a duo, so we created a joint account.
I freaking love it. I love it to the core.
It’s a whole different kind of social media channel and it’s getting bigger and bigger and more popular… and it’s not going away!
10 Reasons Why I Love Snapchat:
- You’re seeing updates truly in the moment. There’s not much pre-planning about it, you snap and you publish.
- You can decide you sees your snap. If I just want my (1) friend to see it, she can see it. If I want my niece to see it, she can see it. If I want to publish to my story, anyone can see it. I love that about Snapchat.
- The “beautiful” filter is my favorite filter on the planet earth. I was I could walk around with that filter all day long.
- I love that the content is real and raw. I say this truly serious. I love that you are getting an inside peek at someone’s life through a 10 second video or a photo – and all of it is real and raw. You don’t have much time to style and create Hollywood videos.
- I love that so many celebrities use it and post regularly! My fave on Snapchat right now it Kate Hudson.
- I love the featured filters that they offer. You need to constantly check out the filters every single day to see what’s up, what’s new and what’s cool.
- You can create videos with any of the filters, too – HILARIOUS.
- I love that you can show a true snapshot of your day through Snapchat. By creating simple and quick 10 second videos, you’re getting a true encounter of someone’s life/day. I love that about it.
- I love seeing so many of my fellow bloggers joining the Snapchat ranks. It’s awesome to see so many of my friends on Snapchat now! I feel like it’s such a different way for us all now to create and view content.
- I love that you can chat back and forth with people with ease. You can easily comment on any photos/videos that are in your daily stream of friends who you follow. I love the conversational piece to Snapchat, too.
Also, I’m asked all the time, too – WHAT DO YOU SNAP?
You can Snapchat anything! My advice, snap throughout your day to see what gets the most views and the most engagement.
You can Snapchat:
- work events
- daily life
- funny mom moments
- fashion looks
- fitness routines
- travel excursions
It’s definitely worth, at the very least, checking out! You will get the hang of it quick and enjoy it! Find some people you know on Snapchat and join the ranks of snapping!