Twitter Parties happen every single day on Twitter. They’ve become so popular throughout the years and really have become a steady and usual component to Twitter with you log-on. On any given night, parties will be happening with a large amount of participants!
I’ve been co-hosting Twitter Parties with Vera Sweeney for years. We started co-hosting them together because brands were looking to capture an additional audience online. We partnered up because we knew there is power in numbers, so by bringing in both of our audiences, we’d have a better chance of attracting more people. Since the beginning, we have LOVED co-hosting Twitter Parties. Each party is different, so for us – every time we log-on – we’re sharing/learning something we’ve never done before!
I thought it would be beneficial to write a post about Twitter Parties and give you all the information about them and why a brand should engage in one. Twitter parties are truly a smart and fun way to engage with brands and (also have the potential to) increase your Twitter followers.
But really – WHAT IS A TWITTER PARTY?
A twitter party is virtual party (where you can be anywhere and still attend) that uses Twitter as the platform or location. It’s just like going to a “real” party — there’s a designated time, place, host, theme/topic and a hashtag for the party. I like to think of the hashtag as the address of the party, it’s where you find everyone attending. These parties take place every single night of the week on Twitter, usually lasting about an hour or two, and are hosted by a brand/company who have a blogger lead the discussion for the party.
There are many reasons why a brand would want to engage in a Twitter Party, but I’ll share with you my top 5 reasons:
1. Engagement – A brand has the unique ability to engage with tons of customers, supporters and potential customers in one place, at one time. For 60 minutes, a brand can chat, share and communicate their message over and over and over. It’s such a wonderful hot-spot for a brand to really become personal to people.
2. Information – So much information and knowledge is shared through a Twitter Party. It’s such a fabulous way to share deals, coupons, messaging, ideas and goals. I love how when we’re done with a party, participants say, “I learned so much this hour!” That’s the goal! That’s what really allows me to see that these Twitter Parties DO have an impact.
3. Communication – With the world shifting to social media so much more, Twitter has become a new way to communicate. You can share trends, recipes, crafts, fitness tips, politics, news, etc. Allow Twitter Parties to be a way to share and communicate everything that it is that you’re about in the “social media age.” My biggest piece of advice on Twitter for a brand is to keep the communication a 2-way discussion. If someone during a party asks you something, answer it. It’s such a wonderful way to create deep and rich content and conversations.
4. New Followers – For a brand, this can be GOLD. During a party, many times your Twitter followers will go up. It’s a wonderful way to get your handle out there repeatedly for an hour, non-stop. Also, feel free to ask people to follow you. The beauty in social media is that people have the choice. If people like what you’re saying, you’re most likely going to get a follow.
5. Fun – At the end of the day, this is what it’s all about for the brand and the audience that shows up… HAVE FUN! We love creating scripts with brands that are fun, exciting and engaging. We want people smiling and laughing and having a good time. We love seeing people getting excited over prizing and who wins!! It’s all about creating a wonderful party atmosphere… and as the hosts, we love to make sure everyone is having a good time!