Yup, there’s a “new” social networking app out there and you’re going to want to join and be part of it – and soon.
(Like, go right now and join and then come back and read this.)
Basically – in a nutshell, Periscope is a live video feed where you can interact and chat with the person actually “Periscoping.”
Here’s their story –
Just over a year ago, we became fascinated by the idea of discovering the world through someone else’s eyes. What if you could see through the eyes of a protester in Ukraine? Or watch the sunrise from a hot air balloon in Cappadocia? It may sound crazy, but we wanted to build the closest thing to teleportation. While there are many ways to discover events and places, we realized there is no better way to experience a place right now than through live video. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but live video can take you someplace and show you around.
This is all so true. If a photo is worth a thousand words, a video… well, it’s priceless.
My friend Cecelia Mecca turned me and Vera Sweeney onto Periscope last weekend. We had heard about it many times from our friends, but truly – our thought was this – another thing to get used to? another thing to use? another app to have to add into our lives? We fought it as long as we possibly could. And then – we couldn’t fight it anymore. Once we saw the app in use, we needed to try it and we needed to be part of it. It’s a whole new world. I can be in Paris right now if I wanted to be. I could be in California checking out the beach. I could be at a college lecture. I could be at my mom’s house. I could be anywhere… in the world… with Periscope.
Think about that for a second. Think about the weight of that statement. You can be anywhere in the world, live.
Periscope has truly blown my mind and for a digital influencer like me, my first thought was — How can I use this as part of what I do? How can I use Periscope to help me and be part of who I am online?
And that’s just it.
I’m fascinated with working Periscope into my life.
Now… because it is a NEW social marketing app to become engrained in, Vera Sweeney and I decided to create a joint account – AudreyandVera – together. We’re trying the best we can to bridge ourselves together, so we’ve decided to start from scratch and work and build it between the 2 of us.
So why do you need to be on Periscope?
Honestly, it’s the same question I asked myself.
Here are 5 quick and easy reasons:
1. You can save the videos you make to your phone and upload them to YouTube. If you’re someone who likes to do video, this is huge. You can create an audience on Periscope, but you can also have that same footage on YouTube.
2. You can be all over the world – real-time – from your own living room.
3. You can actually communicate and interact with people throughout the world while you’re on Periscope. I love that I can actually talk and respond back to people.
4. For work – it’s a wonderful way to show how you are incorporating brands and clients into your work life.
5. I really don’t think Periscope is going to be here and gone. It’s a true game-changer. With our youth, technology is becoming more and more accessible to everyone – this is one of those social networking apps that will change the world.
*As with ALL technology, please be careful. My suggestion is to turn off the geo-tracking. That way people can’t tell exactly where you are. You can share with them on your feed.