The 4th of July is ALMOST upon us!
It’s one of my most favorite holidays of all time. I love going to parades. I love going to watch fireworks. I love going to cookouts with family and friends. I love all the red, white and blue throughout our little town. I love the history and the fun that comes with celebrating the 4th of July every single year.
This year, it’s a little different for us because we’re expecting a baby… it’s slowing me down a little bit, but I’m still enjoying all the 4th of July festivities!
As a mom to 4 boys (who ALL love the 4th of July, too!) I also know that the 4th of July needs to be a SAFE 4th of July for me and my family. We have people in and out of our house for days (literally, we spend days celebrating here in little Rhode Island!) and we’re constantly grilling, cooking, baking, running the A/C, doing laundry and just trying to keep the house a cool and fun place for people to come visit. All of our guests bring kids with them, so it’s even more important to me to keep a safe home for everyone. When they’re here at the McClelland household, I am responsible for everyone… and it’s something that I take very seriously.
If you celebrate like we do (and also entertain beyond the 4th, too!)… you will love knowing that P&G has a wonderful website called Safe Home, where they share tips and advice on how to keep your home and family as safe as possible. It’s a place where you can find great information and resources that will keep you informed and educated.
For the 4th of July holiday in particular, Safe Home offers great tips that every family should make sure they check into before any festivities begin at their home:
1. Make sure the batteries in all of your smoke detectors are fresh.
2. Check to make sure that your First Aid Kit is fully stocked and has everything you need for bumps and scraps to things more serious.
3. Make sure ALL cleaning products, including laundry products, are put away and kept up high away from children that will be in your home throughout the holiday.
4. Keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, especially with all the cooking/baking you’ll be doing throughout the holiday.
5. Make sure you place plastic cover in your outlets with children in your home.
6. Make sure you have the Poison Control Center number on display for all of your guests: 1-800-222-1222
These are such wonderful things to keep in mind to keep you and your family and friends safe throughout the holiday weekend.
You can ALWAYS have fun, but you need to make sure it’s safe fun for all.
Happy 4th everyone!!!