My husband is growing up! I like to joke with Brian because he’s about 4 1/2 years younger than me… which I really only remember when it comes time to celebrate one of our birthdays.
Today Brian turns 28, which is the age I was when I first met him! So here are 28 things I love about my husband, the birthday boy:
1) He is so kind and fair and just. (I know this is technically more than “one” thing I love about him, but I don’t care… it’s my list and I’ll do what I want.) His kind heart is probably the first thing that made me fall in love with him.
2) He loves dogs. Not just our three dogs, but dogs in general. If there’s a story about animal abuse on the news, he has to change the channel.
3) He is an amazing runner.
4) I can tell him anything. I can be myself around him, be totally open and honest about who I am, with all of my imperfections, and he loves me for me.
5) He believes in me. Having Brian by my side supporting me in everything means the world to me.
6) He’s nice to his mom. People say that you should look at the way a man treats his mom because that’s the way he’ll treat his wife.
7) He takes care of me, but also makes sure that I can do things on my own. I need that and I love that he knows when to push me.
8 ) He would share his last bite of ice cream with me if I asked him to (something, I’m ashamed to say, I’d have a hard time doing myself).
9) He does the “man” stuff. I fancy myself a forward-thinking woman, but I’m not interested in learning how to change the oil in my car anytime soon.
10) He loves his boat. It’s one of the few times I see him completely relaxed and not doing a million things at once. I love his passion for being on the water.
11) He always says, “It’s just you and me, kid. That’s all that matters.” Knowing that the decisions we make are for “us” makes me so happy.
12) He is such a hard worker.
13) He appreciates a beautiful sunset.
14) He makes me a vanilla chai every morning for our walk in the park with the dogs.
15) He holds my hand and comforts me when we fly together. I hate flying.
16) He loves being with my family. And we spend a lot of time with my family, so it’s a good thing he enjoys being with them!
17) His sincerity and honesty. After our first date, we were chatting on Gchat and I said: thanks again for taking me to Prudence Island and not sinking your boat. And Brian replied: I would not trade the night for anything. It was perfect. (Yes, I keep our old Gchats archived because they make me smile.)
18) He makes sure to give our 11-year-old dog, Ryder, a glucosamine pill every morning to keep her joints healthy.
19) He is a total romantic. My wedding ring is actually a ring Brian found when he was 8 years old, and kept for years and years, waiting to give it to the girl he would marry. He gave it to me about a year before he proposed. For our wedding I added diamonds to that ring and now I wear it as my wedding ring, along with my engagement ring. (More of this story here.)
20) When I moved to NYC in 2009, a few weeks after Brian and I had met, he wrote this in an email to my sister: “I know it’s sad that Jane’s leaving, no one wants her to leave, but for the short time I’ve known her… she needs this change. I’m not going anywhere, so when it’s time, I will bring her home, to you and your family.”
21) He is just as sweet and sentimental now as he was when we first started dating.
22) He’s so talented at everything he does. Like building stuff.
23) He can cook. I do most of the cooking now, but when we first started dating, Brian would cook for me all the time. He’s much better at it than I am!
24) He’s a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy, but is always willing to try my “lighter” versions of his favorite meals.
25) He is encouraging even when something I cook is the opposite of delicious.
26) He keeps his promises.
27) He wants to be a Dad. And he will be such a great one.
28) I love, most of all, how he changed my life. I never, ever thought I would find someone who is everything I’ve always wanted. But I did. And that person is Brian. I am so lucky to be his and to be able to call him mine.
Wedding photo by Dawn Chace