25 Things You Don’t Want to Hear When You’re Pregnant
I’m officially 21 weeks and 5 days today, meaning… I’m 5 months along.
Since this is my 5th baby, I’ve gotten better and better at filtering out comments and things about pregnancy that you just don’t want to hear when you’re (well) pregnant. I know people try to make you feel good or maybe they’re just not good at having censors, but there are things you just don’t want to hear when you’re pregnant.
When I was first pregnant with my oldest son in 2004, it bothered me way more than it does now… but it’s funny, even now – my 5th time around – there are still things that make my eyes roll (even if they’re meant to be said with good intentions).
(Blame my hormones.)
25 Things You Don’t Want to Hear When You’re Pregnant:
1. You FINALLY got your girl! (As much as I am over the moon about having a baby girl, we weren’t trying for a girl… we really just did want another baby.)
2. You’re done now, right? (As if I have 20 kids.)
3. How are you going to pay for college with all those kids? (I’m just trying to get through K, 1st and 2nd grade right now!)
4. You and Vera have to do everything together, huh?
5. How much weight have you gained so far?
6. Are you getting your tubes tied?
7. Why would you opt for a c-section?
8. Did you have acne with your boys?
9. You sure are going to have your hands full! (I thought we had our hands full when we went past 1?)
10. Just think, as soon as you started to have it easy, you’re doing it again!
11. Get all the sleep you can right now! You’ll be waking up 2 or 3 times a night for the next 6 months!
12. You’re breastfeeding, right? (I’m always surprised people ask this question this way. I was never able to breastfeed my sons and it was devastating to me. It’s hurtful when people say it like this when they don’t know a person’s personal history.)
13. You got rid of everything after the boys? Oh, man… so you need to buy everything for her?(Yup, and everything we had was blue, too… so I guess that was a good thing.)
14. Just think how hot it will be this summer when you have her! (I know, I’ve had a June and 2 September babies.)
15. WOW! You’re BIG!
16. So you won’t be wearing a bathing suit this summer, huh?
17. Were you trying for a 5th?
18. YOU DON’T want to hear people’s advice on what you should name your child.
19. YOU DON’T want to hear about people’s pregnant horror stories, that’s just not good for anyone!
20. You’re not flying? But WHY?
21. You’re looking pale… you can tell it’s a girl.
22. You’re carrying differently than you were with the boys (yup, with the boys I just had a basketball belly).
23. How is it being pregnant when you’re older? (I’m only 34!!)
24. Just think, with a girl… wedding, proms, hormones, etc… (Yup, and I can’t wait!)
25. What will you do about work? You won’t be able to keep up with your schedule anymore. (Hmmm… no comment.)